By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Industrials have been strong, and now the bulls are targeting Emerson Electric (EMR) .
OptionMonster's trade scanners detected the purchase of 3,300 August 60 calls for 30 cents shortly after the opening bell on Friday. Almost 4,300 of those contracts would eventually trade, more than five times the previous open interest in that strike.
These calls lock in the price where the stock can be bought, providing an inexpensive way to profit from a rally without buying shares directly. The options can generate huge leverage from even a small move in the underlying stock but can expire worthless if it doesn't move in the next month.Emerson was trading for about $57.88 when the calls hit, and it closed at the session high of $58.80 for a gain of 1.84%. But that return percentage paled next to the performance of the August 60 calls, which almost doubled to 55 cents. The stock peaked around $60 in May, pulled back its 200-day moving average in June, and is now finding support above its 50-day moving average. That could be leading some chart watchers to believe that it will continue to rally. Industrials have been popular in the last week, delivering roughly triple the performance of the S&P 500 over that period. Emerson will announce quarterly results before the opening bell on Aug. 6. Overall option volume was six times greater than average in the session, with calls accounting for a bullish three-quarters of the total. Russell has no positions in EMR.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV