BERWICK, Pa., July 21, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Operators disconnected Unit 1 at PPL Corporation's Susquehanna nuclear power plant in northeastern Pennsylvania from the regional power grid Sunday (7/21) to repair one of four valves that control the amount of steam going into the turbine.
"Repairing the valve reflects our conservative approach to operating the plant safely and reliably," said Timothy S. Rausch, PPL Susquehanna senior vice president and Chief Nuclear Officer. "The repair also supports optimal performance of the unit during the summer months when the demand for power is high."
PPL expects to complete the repairs and reconnect Unit 1 to the power grid soon. Unit 2 continues to operate at full power. Both Susquehanna units have a generating capacity of about 1,300 megawatts.
The Susquehanna plant, located in Luzerne County about seven miles north of Berwick, is owned jointly by PPL Susquehanna LLC and Allegheny Electric Cooperative Inc. and is operated by PPL Susquehanna.PPL Susquehanna LLC is one of PPL Corporation's generating affiliates. PPL Corporation (NYSE: PPL), with annual revenue of more than $12 billion, is one of the largest companies in the U.S. utility sector. The PPL family of companies delivers electricity and natural gas to about 10 million customers in the United States and the United Kingdom, owns more than 18,000 megawatts of generating capacity in the United States and sells energy in key U.S. markets. More information is available at www.pplsusquehanna.com and www.pplweb.com. Contact: Joe Scopelliti, 1-866-832-4474, email@example.com PPL Susquehanna SOURCE PPL Susquehanna
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV