American Osteopathic Association Supports Banning Distracted Driving
CHICAGO, July 20, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Approximately 660,000 drivers use cell phones or electronic devices while driving, according to a recent survey from the U.S. Department of Transportation's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). To help keep drivers safe, the American Osteopathic Association's House of Delegates voted today to continue supporting legislation regarding banning activities that cause distraction while driving.
"Texting while driving can lead to dangerous consequences, including serious injury or death," says Gregory Christiansen, DO, an AOA board-certified emergency medicine physician. "If you need to make a phone call or send a text, it is much safer to pull over rather than keep driving."
According to separate NHTSA data, in 2011 more than 3,300 people were killed and 387,000 were injured in crashes involving a distracted driver.About the House of Delegates The AOA's House of Delegates, comprised of more than 500 delegates representing osteopathic state medical associations, specialty societies, interns, residents and students from throughout the country, meets annually in July to set organizational policies and elect new officers.
About the American Osteopathic Association The American Osteopathic Association (AOA) proudly represents its professional family of more than 104,000 osteopathic physicians (DOs) and osteopathic medical students; promotes public health; encourages scientific research; serves as the primary certifying body for DOs; is the accrediting agency for osteopathic medical schools; and has federal authority to accredit hospitals and other health care facilities. More information on DOs/osteopathic medicine can be found at www.osteopathic.org.
SOURCE American Osteopathic Association
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV