The New Rules Against Bullying by Debt Collectors
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The bigger they are, the harder -- and louder -- they fall.
That's the case with Expert Global Solutions, which was slapped with a big fine for onerous and bullying debt collection practices July 9 by the Federal Trade Commission. It fined EGS $3.2 million and ordered it to stop "harassing" customers with "allegedly illegal debt collection calls."
The fine was the largest ever levied against third-party U.S. debt collector, and it underscores the problems consumers have been having in fending off aggressive debt collection companies.
The FTC alleges that Expert Global Solutions used unfair debt collection practices such as calling consumers several times per day, calling after consumers asked them to stop, calling before 9 a.m. and after 5 p.m. and calling consumers at their workplaces even if their employers had strict regulations against debt collectors calling.
- Stop falsely representing that they will not call a number to collect a debt.
- Not harass, oppress or abuse a consumer while trying to collect a debt.
- Not communicate with third parties about a consumer's debt.
- Not communicate with a consumer at his or her workplace if it is clearly inconvenient or prohibited by the consumer's employer.
- Except in limited circumstances, cease communications if a consumer has requested no further contact or if a consumer refuses to pay a debt; and not violate any provision of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV