Microsoft reported adjusted second-quarter earnings of 52 cents a share, declining from 73 cents a year earlier, and coming in way below the consensus estimate of 75 cents a share, among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters.
In economic news on Friday, China's central bank announced that it was removing the floor on loan interest rates for commercial banks, in an effort to encourage borrowing and business expansion.The KBW Bank Index (I:BKX) was up slightly to close at 66.04, with all but eight of the 24 index components up for the session.
Capital OneCapital One late on Thursday reported second-quarter net income available to common stockholders of $1.100 billion, or $1.87 a share, increasing from $1.048 billion, or $1.79 a share, in the first quarter, and $92 million, or 16 cents a share, during the second quarter of 2012, when the company completed its acquisition of HSBC's (HBC) U.S. credit card portfolio and set aside an additional $1.2 billion for loan loss reserves for the acquired loans. The year-earlier results also included a net $116 million in expenses from regulatory fines and customer refunds related to cross selling of "credit protection" services to its credit card customers. The company's net revenue for the second quarter was $5.638 billion, increasing from $5.551 billion the previous quarter and $5.055 billion a year earlier. Results came ahead of the consensus estimates of $1.72 a share in earnings and revenue of $5.535 billion. The main factor in the sequential earnings improvement was a decline in the provision for credit losses to $762 million in the second quarter from $885 million in the first quarter. During the second quarter, Capital One's average credit card loan balances declined by 6% from the first quarter to $77.946 billion. Meanwhile, the company's average commercial loans were up 2% during the quarter to $39.512 billion.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV