Carl Icahn may have played a strong hand leading up to the vote, however, the meeting's adjournment likely plays into the hands of the Silver Lake consortium.
Icahn may have helped to drive a significant amount of crucial abstaining shareholders by holding out the prospect of an appraisal on the Silver Lake offer in a Delaware court. Meanwhile, the activist's last minute sweeteners to a $14 a share self-tender for about 72% of Dell's shares may have won support from some institutional investors.
Earlier in July, Icahn said he would add a warrant to his tender offer for the majority shares. The warrant, which Icahn says is worth up to $4 a share to current investors, will give Dell shareholders the right to buy one Dell share within the next seven years for, for every four shares they tender to his offer.
Since Michael Dell and Silver Lake unveiled their takeover proposal on Feb. 5, most news broke in the favor of the buyout consortium.Dell and a special committee tasked with finding higher bidders for the company both support the $13.65 a share takeover transaction and continue to see weakness in the financial strength and value of Icahn's offer. To be seen, however, is whether a final tally of mom and pop investor votes will break in Michael Dell and Silver Lake's favor. -- Written by Antoine Gara in New York Follow @antoineGara
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV