Wall Street just doesn't get Garmin (GRMN). In fact, they hate it -- Garmin has consistently sported a short interest ratio of 10.4 for the last year, a number that means it would take more than two weeks of nonstop buying just for short sellers to exit their bets against shares. And while Garmin can't directly control its share price, the company does have control over a different driver of returns: its dividend.
Currently, the GPS-maker pays out a 45-cent quarterly dividend that adds up t a 4.9% yield.>>5 Tech Stocks to Buy This Summer Garmin makes global positioning devices for cars, boats, planes and fitness enthusiasts. While the firm's detractors have pointed to the commoditization of the consumer GPS device as a potential business-killer for Garmin, that investment thesis just hasn't played out. In fact, that exposure to all corners of the GPS market means that Garmin is able to pour R&D into big-ticket electronics (such as the $50,000 G1000 avionics suite for small planes) and then transition the tech to the more margin-sensitive consumer market. As Garmin continues to generate massive growth in niche devices for outdoor and fitness users, the firm should be able to keep its engines spinning -- all while subsidizing the biggest development costs in its bigger-ticket product lines. Meanwhile, a debt-free balance sheet with around $3 billion in cash and investments means that this bargain name effectively trades for a 41% discount right now. As management looks to put some of that cash to good use, a dividend hike makes all the sense in the world. To see all of this week's Rocket Stocks in action, check out the Rocket Stocks portfolio at Stockpickr.-- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV