5 Least Sinful Cities in America
America's most-saintly city: New York
Taxi Driver, Law & Order and other movies and TV shows set in New York make the Big Apple look like a separate ring in Hell, but Movoto's study concluded that Gotham is actually America's Most Saintly City.
"People assume there's a lot more crime in New York than everywhere else, but it turns out that's just in movies and on TV," Nelson says. "When you sit down and look at the statistics, you see that the city has over 8 million people -- so the incidence of these things is very low on a per-capita basis."For instance, Movoto found that New York ranks third among cities studied for Charity, with just 15 property crimes for every 1,000 residents. The Big Apple doesn't do quite as well for kindness -- ringing up six violent crimes per 1,000 people -- but still ranks just 42nd out of a possible 95 on that measure. New York also rates third for diligence (with just a 16.4% obesity rate) and sixth for generosity. Movoto found that the average New Yorker gives 7.4% of disposable income to charity. Finally, New York places 14th for humility and 40th for chastity.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV