- Charity. Charity involves giving stuff away instead of taking it -- the antithesis of envy, where you covet something that someone else owns. Movoto measured charity by looking at cities with low FBI property-crime rates.
- Chastity. The study gauged chastity (the opposite of lust) by ranking communities for low levels of strip clubs within city limits.
- Diligence. Diligence is the flipside of sloth. Movoto measured this virtue by looking at U.S. Centers for Disease Control estimates of each city's inactivity rate, the percent of the local population that's not physically active. The lower the inactivity rate, the higher a city's diligence ranking.
- Generosity. Movoto calculated generosity (the antithesis of greed) by using Philanthropy.com figures of how much the average resident in each locale donates to charity in a given year. The higher the percentage of disposable income contributed, the greater a city's generosity.
- Humility. The study quantified humility -- the opposite of pride -- by looking at each city's ratio of plastic surgeons to residents, based on Yelp.com listings. The lower the ratio, the higher the community's humility.
- Kindness. Kindness is virtue's answer to wrath. Movoto measured kindness by focusing on cities with low FBI violent-crime rates.
- Temperance. Movoto assessed temperance (the opposite of gluttony) by looking for communities with low CDC obesity rates.
5 Least Sinful Cities in America
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.