PORTLAND, Ore. (TheStreet) -- In the summer of 2010, with the nation still fumbling around for pocket change after being mugged by the recession, The New York Times decided to hit the summer concert circuit.
While visiting the amphitheaters of the New York metropolitan area, it found Maroon 5 and Warped Tour tickets discounted to $10 by lack of demand. It saw Goo Goo Dolls fans who paid $10 to see the show fork over $11 to $13 just for a beer. In that moment, with artists abandoning a Lilith Fair revival tour and fans wondering why they paid parking fees and full ticket prices to sit on a lawn, that should have been it. That should have been the moment that the amphitheater circuit began its steep decline and the dream of the great outdoor suburban concert died.
It didn't, but it didn't exactly keep its nostalgia tour and mall-teen concert fest lineup, either.
While wonderful, pre-World War II amphitheaters such as The Hollywood Bowl, Red Rocks and Ravinia and Tanglewood still dot the landscape and recall a time the summer concert season gave even the performers a little getaway from the city, the summer concert "sheds" as America knows them owe much of their existence to one man: New York metro area planner Robert Moses. After creating Jones Beach State Park on Long Island to help showcase his newly built Meadowbrook, Ocean and Wantagh parkways, Moses designed the Jones Beach Marine Theater as a means of bringing more visitors to the area.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV