News Summary: Stocks Rise To Record On Earnings
By The Associated Press
ALL-TIME HIGH: The Standard & Poor's 500 index and the Dow Jones industrial average closed at all-time highs after encouraging news about the economy and strong earnings reports.
ECONOMY: Claims for unemployment benefits fell last week and the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia said manufacturing in its region grew at the fastest pace in more than two years this month.
EARNINGS: Among companies reporting financial results, investment bank Morgan Stanley and UnitedHealth Group, the nation's largest health insurer, were among the standouts. Both companies surged after reporting earnings that beat analysts' forecasts.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV