Western Alliance Bancorporation (NYSE:WAL) announced today its financial results for the second quarter 2013.
Second Quarter 2013 Highlights:
- Net income of $34.0 million, compared to $21.0 million for the first quarter 2013 and $14.0 million for the second quarter 2012
- Net income of $27.7 million for the second quarter 2013, excluding a $10.0 million bargain purchase gain from the acquisition of Centennial Bank, a $3.3 million trust preferred fair value revaluation charge, and a $1.1 million gain on OREO valuation (excluding tax effects)
- Earnings per share of $0.39, compared to $0.24 per share in the first quarter 2013 and $0.15 per share in the second quarter 2012
- Earnings per share of $0.30 for the second quarter 2013, excluding $0.10 per share bargain purchase gain from the acquisition of Centennial Bank, $0.02 trust preferred valuation charge, and $0.01 OREO valuation gain
- Pre-tax, pre-provision operating earnings of $40.1 million, up 14.4% from $35.1 million in first quarter 2013 and from $32.1 million in second quarter 2012 1
- Net interest margin of 4.36%, compared to 4.36% in the first quarter 2013 and 4.46% in the second quarter 2012
- Total loans of $6.41 billion, up $556 million from March 31, 2013, and up $1.25 billion from June 30, 2012, including $343 million increase from the acquisition of Centennial Bank, which closed on April 30, 2013
- Total deposits of $7.00 billion, up $266 million from March 31, 2013 and up $1.00 billion from June 30, 2012, including $298 million increase from the acquisition of Centennial Bank, which closed on April 30, 2013
- Nonperforming assets (nonaccrual loans and repossessed assets) decreased to 1.9% of total assets from 2.1% in first quarter 2013 and from 2.5% in second quarter 2012
- Net loan charge-offs (annualized) to average loans outstanding decreased to 0.17% from 0.38% in the first quarter 2013 and 1.11% in the second quarter 2012
- Tier I Leverage capital of 9.9% and Total Risk-Based Capital ratio of 12.0%, compared to 9.7% and 12.3% a year ago
- Total equity of $800 million, up $128 million from June 30, 2012
“Our proven business model of exceptional client service, strong credit underwriting, and striving for continued performance improvement has driven our record earnings for the second quarter,” said Robert Sarver, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Western Alliance Bancorporation. “On the revenue side, strong loan growth and disciplined pricing led to record net interest income. Meanwhile, effective cost control and leveraging our infrastructure resulted in improved operating efficiency, as deposits per branch rose over 10% during the past year to $171 million. The acquisition of Centennial Bank augmented our results with a bargain purchase gain and higher earning assets. Continued collection activities and economic recovery resulted in a gain on sale of real estate owned and a lower credit provision as non-performing loans and repossessed assets fell to under 2%. We also invested in our future by recruiting new members to our team and, on July 1 st, opened our 42 nd office to more effectively serve the vibrant Scottsdale Airpark market.”Western Alliance Bancorporation reported net income of $34.0 million, or $0.39 per share, in the second quarter 2013 (includes an $8.5 million gain from the acquisition of Centennial Bank, net of merger related expenses and tax), more than double the $14.0 million, or $0.15 per share, earned one year ago. Key performance improvement drivers include sustained organic balance sheet growth, prudent expense management, and reduced legacy asset costs against the backdrop of improved economic conditions.