Average loan balances reach record $15.4 billion, up 18 percent, with commercial loans up 25 percent Assets and deposits grow at double-digit rates year-over-year Trust and investment fees up 46 percent from a year ago
- Period-end loans and leases, excluding loans covered by City National's acquisition-related loss-sharing agreements with the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC), reached a record $15.8 billion, up 17 percent from June 30, 2012 and up 4 percent from March 31, 2013. Average second-quarter loan and lease balances, excluding FDIC-covered loans, grew to $15.4 billion, up 18 percent from the second quarter of last year. Average commercial loans were up 25 percent from the same period in 2012.
- Second-quarter deposit balances averaged $23.1 billion, up 10 percent from the second quarter of 2012. Average core deposits, which equal 97 percent of total balances, were up 11 percent from the second quarter of last year.
- City National's assets under management or administration grew to $59.1 billion, up 18 percent from the second quarter of 2012. Trust and investment fees were $49.8 million, up 46 percent from the second quarter of 2012.
- Net loan recoveries in the second quarter of 2013 totaled $7.5 million, up from $4.8 million in the first quarter. Excluding FDIC-covered loans, second-quarter 2013 results included no provision for loan and lease losses. City National recorded a $1.0 million provision in the second quarter of 2012 and no provision in the first quarter of 2013. The company remains appropriately reserved at 1.83 percent of total loans, excluding FDIC-covered loans.
- City National remains well-capitalized. Under Basel I capital rules, the company's Tier 1 common shareholders' equity ratio was 8.8 percent at June 30, 2013. 1 Under Basel III rules, its estimated Tier 1 common equity ratio was 8.6 percent. 2 All of the company's pro-forma capital ratios are comfortably above the Basel III rules, which were approved by the Federal Reserve on July 2, 2013. These rules are not scheduled to be fully required until 2019.
|For the three months ended||For the three|
|Dollars in millions,||June 30,||%||months ended||%|
|except per share data||2013||2012||Change||March 31, 2013||Change|
|Earnings Per Common Share||$ 1.04||$ 1.01||3||$ 0.90||16|
|Net Income Attributable to CNC||59.7||54.8||9||51.5||16|
|Net Income Available to Common|
|Average Assets||$ 27,469.6||$ 24,362.5||13||$ 27,709.2||(1)|
|Return on Average Assets||0.87%||0.90%||(3)||0.75%||16|
|Return on Average Common Equity||9.53%||9.86%||(3)||8.43%||13|
|Return on Average Tangible|