RI Unemployment Rate Remains At 8.9 Percent
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) â¿¿ The unemployment rate in Rhode Island stayed the same last month and the labor force shrunk, according to state data released Thursday.
The state Department of Labor and Training reported the jobless rate in June remained at 8.9 percent for the second straight month. It was 10.6 percent a year ago. The U.S. jobless rate last month was 7.6 percent.
The size of the labor force was down 400, to 558,500, from May. That's down 1,400 from a year ago, partly because people ages 16 to 24 stopped looking for work, citing discouragement, officials said.
The number of employed also dropped 300, to 509,000. But that's 8,300 more than a year ago.The state created 400 jobs during the month, compared with revised May estimates. Department spokeswoman Laura Hart called the professional and business services sector a "bright spot." It gained 1,700 jobs in June, and Hart said it was up 3,500 jobs over the year. The educational services and construction sectors in June also saw gains of 500 and 400, respectively. Accommodation and food services lost 1,800 jobs, which the report said could have been related to bad weather. Rhode Island's unemployment rate has persistently been among the nation's highest.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV