Market-neutral Funds: A Matter of Risk
By Hal M. Bundrick
NEW YORK ( MainStreet)--With a meager annualized return of less than 2% over the past five years, investors may be inclined to abandon ship on market-neutral funds. With high fees and rapid portfolio turnover combined with weak performance, what's the use? Andrew Clark, manager of alternative investment research at Lipper says it's a matter of diversification, not return.
"In terms of operating expenses alternative investment mutual funds can be pricey relative to their traditionally managed fund peers," Clark admits in a Lipper report."It is common for alternative funds to have annual operating expenses of around 1.5%, and some funds are considerably more expensive. However, we view them as primarily diversifiers of risk and not necessarily as return enhancers."
But the case against market-neutral funds is compelling, with an annualized return of only 1.7% over the past five years, well below the average annual return of U.S. domestic equity funds which ranges between 9.4% and 14.4%, depending on investment style. And considering the fact that market-neutral funds are generally 20 basis points more expensive than U.S. equity funds.However Clark notes that the risk-return component of market-neutral funds is what sets them apart.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV