Average loans held in the bank's portfolio were up 1% sequentially and 5% year-over-year to $86.7 billion. Fifth Third continued its strong commercial and industrial loan growth, with loans of this category averaging $37.6 billion in the second quarter, rising 3% from the previous quarter and 15% from a year earlier.
Second-quarter noninterest income totaled $1.060 billion, increasing from $743 million in the first quarter and $678 million during the second quarter of 2012. In addition to gains on the Vantiv holdings of $242 million before tax, and the increase in mortgage revenue, Fifth Third reported a 4% increase (from the first quarter and year-over-year) in deposit account service charges to $136 million, while corporate banking revenue was up 7% from the first quarter and 4% year-over-year to $106 million.
"Nearly all fee income categories increased quarter-over-quarter," Fifth Third CEO Kevin Kabat said in the bank's earnings press release, adding "All major fee categories showed mid-single digit growth year-over-year."
Noninterest expense totaled $1.017 during the second quarter, increasing from $978 million in the first quarter and $937 million during the second quarter of 2012, "largely driven by
Interested in more on Fifth Third Bancorp? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. -- Written by Philip van Doorn in Jupiter, Fla. >Contact by Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV