NEW YORK ( The Deal) -- M&T Bank Corp. (MTB) said Wednesday that the timing of its $5.2 billion merger with Hudson City Bancorp Inc. (HCBK) remains uncertain because of its outstanding regulatory issues, but that the buyer remains comfortable with the economics of the deal.
In April, M&T said the Federal Reserve Board identified concerns with M&T's procedures and processes relating to compliance with the Bank Secrecy Act and anti-money-laundering compliance program.
In June, M&T entered a consent order with the Fed that outlined obligations, including submitting plans for revised programs regarding compliance with various aspects of the BSA/AML regulations. That agreement with the Fed requires M&T submit the revised program outlines by August 16.
On its earnings call Wednesday, M&T said it is working diligently to address these matters in a timely manner and is focused on submitting the plans, which then require Fed approval. Afterward, execution is a factor in complying with the agreement and M&T has to make sure everything is in place to execute, so it makes no sense to speculate on the time line, M&T chief financial officer René Jones said."Once we get through the work we have to do on BSA/AML and we get through
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV