NEW YORK, July 18, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Disappointing reports on retail sales and housing starts were enough to pull mortgage rates back from last week's 2-year high, with the benchmark 30-year fixed mortgage rate sliding to 4.56 percent, according to Bankrate.com's weekly national survey. The average 30-year fixed mortgage has an average of 0.31 discount and origination points.
To see mortgage rates in your area, go to http://www.bankrate.com/funnel/mortgages/.
The average 15-year fixed mortgage fell to 3.65 percent, while the larger jumbo 30-year fixed mortgage rate declined to 4.71 percent. Adjustable rate mortgages were mostly lower, with the popular 5-year adjustable rate retreating to 3.56 percent and the 7-year rate falling to 3.87 percent. The 10-year ARM was the exception, moving a touch higher to 4.08 percent.Weaker economic data increases the odds the Federal Reserve holds off tapering their bond-buying stimulus. And further easing the upward pressure on interest rates this week were comments from Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke, who emphasized in an appearance before Congress that the tapering is not set in stone and the Fed is very adaptable to incoming economic data. As recently as May 1 st, the average 30-year fixed mortgage rate was 3.52 percent. At that time, a $200,000 loan would have carried a monthly payment of $900.32. With the average rate currently at 4.56 percent, the monthly payment for the same size loan would be $1,020.51, a difference of $120 per month for anyone that waited just a little too long. SURVEY RESULTS 30-year fixed: 4.56% -- down from 4.66% last week (avg. points: 0.31)15-year fixed: 3.65% -- down from 3.75% last week (avg. points: 0.25)5/1 ARM: 3.56% -- down from 3.63% last week (avg. points: 0.31)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV