COVINGTON, La., July 18, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Pool Corporation (Nasdaq:POOL) today reported record results for the second quarter of 2013.
"Our second quarter results were bolstered by strong performances in our largest, year-round markets and growth in pool refurbishment and replacement activities. Most seasonal markets lagged given the late start to this year's season as noted in our June 18th press release. In contrast, the early start to last year's season amplified the impact of the delayed start in our seasonal markets and the consequential business lost from later pool openings," said Manuel Perez de la Mesa, President and CEO.
Net sales for the quarter ended June 30, 2013 increased 4% to a record $790.4 million, compared to $757.2 million in the second quarter of 2012, with base business sales also up 4% for the period. The impact of weather on our second quarter results is evidenced by sales growth of approximately 9% on average in our largest, year-round markets while sales in our more seasonal markets remained flat overall. Irrigation sales were up 10% due to increased construction and renovation activity, spurred by modest improvements in the housing market.Gross profit for the second quarter of 2013 increased 3% to $228.2 million from $222.4 million in the same period of 2012. Gross profit as a percentage of net sales (gross margin) declined 50 basis points to 28.9% in the second quarter of 2013. This decrease is attributable to changes in product mix, customer mix and geographic mix. We experienced double-digit sales growth during the quarter for certain discretionary lower margin product lines such as heaters and lighting products. Alternately, our sales of some higher margin, non-discretionary product lines declined during the quarter, as did sales growth in certain historically higher margin geographic regions as a result of the late start to the 2013 season.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV