Snap-on Incorporated (NYSE: SNA), a leading global innovator, manufacturer and marketer of tools, equipment, diagnostics, repair information and systems solutions for professional users performing critical tasks, today announced operating results for the second quarter of 2013.
- Sales of $764.1 million increased $26.2 million, or 3.6%, from 2012 levels; excluding $4.7 million of unfavorable foreign currency translation and $8.5 million of sales from the previously announced May 2013 acquisition of Challenger Lifts, Inc. (“Challenger”), organic sales increased 3.1%.
- Operating earnings before financial services of $117.8 million, or 15.4% of sales, compares with $104.6 million, or 14.2% of sales, last year.
- Restructuring costs totaled $1.8 million in the quarter; restructuring costs of $10.2 million in the second quarter of 2012 included $6.8 million for the settlement of a pension plan. Stock-based and mark-to-market expenses in the quarter increased $4.4 million from 2012 levels.
- Financial services operating earnings of $30.6 million increased $5.0 million from 2012 levels.
- Consolidated operating earnings of $148.4 million improved to 18.4% of revenues (net sales plus financial services revenue) as compared to $130.2 million, or 16.7% of revenues, last year.
- Net earnings of $88.4 million, or $1.50 per diluted share, compares with net earnings of $76.4 million, or $1.30 per diluted share, a year ago.
“We believe our performance in the second quarter reaffirms Snap-on’s strengths in serving serious professionals performing critical repairs around the world every day,” said Nick Pinchuk, Snap-on chairman and chief executive officer. “Again this quarter, we achieved higher year-over-year sales and increased operating income in spite of ongoing headwinds in specific parts of our business, and we continued to progress in those strategic areas of importance that we’ve identified as being decisive to our future. For example, our recent acquisition of Challenger Lifts in the second quarter broadens our established capabilities and furthers our advancement along the growth runway of expanding with repair shop owners and managers. Finally, I thank our franchisees and associates worldwide for their significant dedication and contributions, without which these results would not have been possible.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV