2013 has been a pretty miserable year for Petrobras (PBR). Since the calendar flipped over to January, shares of the $91 billion Brazilian oil and gas company have dropped more than 28%, versus a double-digit rally in the rest of the stock market. But investors could finally be in for a reprieve - recent price action in PBR points to a potential reversal this week.
Petrobras is currently forming an inverse head and shoulders pattern, a reversal pattern that's formed by two swing lows that bottom out at approximately the same level (shoulders), separated by a lower low between them (the head). The buy signal comes on a breakout above the neckline, which is right at $14 for PBR; if this setup triggers, it comes with a price target at $16.There are a lot of inputs affecting PBR's price - including prices for the energy commodities that the firm pulls out of the ground and the economic situation in Brazil. Focusing on this stock's price action essentially shortcuts trying to weigh all of those disparate factors. They're already priced in.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV