RLI Corp. (NYSE: RLI) – RLI Corp. reported second quarter 2013 operating earnings of $27.5 million ($1.27 per share), compared to $25.2 million ($1.17 per share) for the second quarter of 2012. For the six months ended June 30, 2013, operating earnings were $49.9 million ($2.31 per share) compared to $45.8 million ($2.13 per share) for the same period in 2012.
|Earnings Per Diluted Share||2013||2012|
|Operating earnings (1)||$1.27||$1.17|
|(1) See discussion of non-GAAP financial measures on page 2.|
Highlights for the quarter included:
- 11% growth in gross premiums written and 15% growth in net premiums written.
- Underwriting income of $25.6 million, resulting in a combined ratio of 83.4.
- $24.6 million net increase in underwriting income resulting from favorable development on prior years’ loss reserves.
- $8.8 million net decrease in underwriting income resulting from 2013 spring storms.
- Book value per share of $38.64, an increase of 3.2% from year end 2012.
“Our underwriters delivered excellent results, as evidenced by the 83 combined ratio and 11% growth in gross premiums written this quarter,” said RLI Corp. Chairman & CEO Jonathan E. Michael. “Premium production continues to benefit from improved market conditions and newer product initiatives, particularly within our casualty segment.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV