CYS Investments, Inc. (NYSE: CYS) (“CYS” or the “Company”) today announced financial results for the quarter ended June 30, 2013.
Second Quarter 2013 Summary Results
- June 30, 2013 net asset value per common share of $10.20 after declaring a $0.34 dividend per common share on June 10, 2013.
- June 30, 2013 leverage ratio of 7.5 to 1.
GAAP net loss available to common shares of $402.3 million, or $2.32
per diluted common share. The main contributors were:
- Net realized loss from investments of $211.4 million.
- Net unrealized depreciation on investments of $444.9 million.
- Net unrealized appreciation on swap and cap contracts of $215.5 million.
- Core Earnings plus Drop Income of $63.4 million, or $0.37 per diluted common share ($0.18 Core Earnings and $0.19 Drop Income).
- Operating expenses of 0.98% of average net assets.
- Interest rate spread net of hedge including drop income of 1.36%.
- Weighted average amortized cost of Agency RMBS of $104.32.
Second Quarter 2013 Agency RMBS Market Summary
In the second quarter of 2013, Agency RMBS markets reacted to a series of communications made by the U.S. Federal Reserve (the “Fed”) regarding the timing of tapering its bond purchases known as "quantitative easing" or "QE3". As the perceived likelihood of QE3 tapering increased, Agency RMBS markets reacted, resulting in markedly lower prices. The following table illustrates the recent volatility of Agency RMBS prices and yields:
|Fannie Mae 30 Year 3.5%|
|Date||Press Release||Price Day Prior to Release||Price Day of Release||Change||Yield Day of Release|
|May 22, 2013||Minutes of the Federal Open Market Committee ("FOMC")||105.359||104.672||(0.687||)||2.65||%|
|May 28, 2013||Minutes of the Fed Board's discount rate meetings||104.578||103.516||(1.062||)||2.85||%|
|June 19, 2013||The Fed issues FOMC statement||103.328||101.984||(1.344||)||3.04||%|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV