Select Comfort Corporation (NASDAQ: SCSS) today reported second-quarter 2013 results for the period ended June 29, 2013.
Second-quarter Financial Summary
- Net sales increased 1% to $207 million, compared to $205 million in the second quarter of 2012.
- Company-controlled comparable sales declined 6% year-over-year.
- Operating income was $15.1 million, compared with $25.9 million in the second quarter of 2012. As a percentage of net sales, operating income was 7.3% compared to 12.6% in the second quarter of 2012.
- Earnings per diluted share were $0.18, compared to $0.30 in the second quarter of 2012.
- During the quarter, the company opened 17 stores and closed 15, ending the quarter with 413 stores.
“During the quarter, we experienced sequential monthly sales improvement and strengthened performance as we re-established our proven media-buying formula,” said Shelly Ibach, president and CEO, Select Comfort. “We also made progress on our top priorities, product innovation and local-market development, as we position the company for short- and long-term growth.”
Ibach continued, “Specifically in June, we launched the Sleep Number DualTemp layer, which solves temperature balancing – one of consumers’ most common sleep issues. This product can be used with any mattress brand, which is bringing new customers into our Sleep Number stores.”Cash flows from operating activities were $36 million for the first six months of 2013, compared with $43 million in the prior year. Capital expenditures for the first six months of 2013 increased to $37.1 million as compared to $22.5 million in 2012, driven by increased investment in stores, technology and product innovation. During the second quarter, the company repurchased 0.5 million shares of its common stock for a total cost of $10 million. As of the end of the quarter, cash, cash equivalents and marketable-debt securities totaled $140 million, and the company had no borrowings under its revolving credit facility.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV