MONTGOMERY, Ala., July 17, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Through an initiative spearheaded by First Lady Dianne Bentley, the Alabama Department of Corrections has donated more than 4,000 phones confiscated from inmates to HopeLine from Verizon, a phone recycling program that turns no-longer used wireless devices into support for organizations working to help reduce the incidence of domestic violence and assist victims.
First Lady Bentley, who supports the cause of domestic violence awareness and prevention through a number of initiatives, first learned of HopeLine in early 2012 and challenged Governor Robert Bentley's cabinet members to collect phones for the cause. In just one month, the First Lady raised 2,500 phones, due in large part to a significant donation from the Department of Corrections, which had previously disposed of cell phones confiscated from inmates. Since then, the Department has continued to donate confiscated phones to HopeLine.
The Department of Corrections donated approximately 2,500 phones to HopeLine in 2012 and has contributed 1,553 phones so far this year.
"The Alabama Department of Corrections is pleased to support the First Lady's efforts around such a worthy cause," Corrections Commissioner Kim Thomas said. "Cell phones in a prison setting are a real danger as contraband. We diligently battle their illegal use and are glad to donate them to such a productive cause and to assist the First Lady. This is just one of the many positive things we do on a daily basis."Wireless phones given to HopeLine are refurbished and sold for reuse, generating grant dollars for nonprofit organizations to help fund education, support services and community outreach. Refurbished phones – complete with 3,000 minutes of wireless service and text-messaging service – are provided to local domestic violence agencies or local law enforcement agencies for use with their domestic violence clients.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV