4 Buy-Rated Dividend Stocks: GSK, RAI, NGLS, RDS.A
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 4 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy." GlaxoSmithKline (NYSE: GSK) shares currently have a dividend yield of 4.20%. GlaxoSmithKline plc, together with its subsidiaries, discovers, develops, manufactures, and markets pharmaceutical products, over-the-counter medicines, and health-related consumer products worldwide. The company has a P/E ratio of 15.85. The average volume for GlaxoSmithKline has been 2,417,800 shares per day over the past 30 days. GlaxoSmithKline has a market cap of $129.4 billion and is part of the drugs industry. Shares are up 19.3% year to date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. TheStreet Ratings rates GlaxoSmithKline as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its notable return on equity, good cash flow from operations, increase in stock price during the past year and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Pharmaceuticals industry and the overall market, GLAXOSMITHKLINE PLC's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $1,894.57 million or 17.11% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of -12.05%.
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- The gross profit margin for GLAXOSMITHKLINE PLC is currently very high, coming in at 70.09%. Regardless of GSK's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 14.69% trails the industry average.
- GLAXOSMITHKLINE PLC's earnings per share declined by 26.5% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has suffered a declining pattern of earnings per share over the past year. However, we anticipate this trend reversing over the coming year. During the past fiscal year, GLAXOSMITHKLINE PLC reported lower earnings of $2.96 versus $3.21 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.60 versus $2.96).
- You can view the full GlaxoSmithKline Ratings Report.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.