So, despite all of those good works, the stock is going down because its competitors, Google and Facebook, are ahead of Yahoo in trying to cover their flanks against this kind of buying. Google does it in search, while Facebook does it in novel ways to get eyeballs and a plethora of users, including mobile users -- double the number of overall eyeballs that Yahoo has.
Now here's the toughest part. You had to bet, with Mayer, that she would solve the basic problems of Yahoo when she took the job last year -- and she has done so. That's points one, two and three above, which she solved without really denting the cash hoard.
Now you have to bet with her that she'll solve the programmatic challenge and grow revenue. I was quite confident that she would fulfill miracles one, two and three.
I am not going to bet against her now. She has the smarts. She has the firepower.She'll figure it out. I get the profit-taking. But a big selloff? That means you should buy it, not sell it. At the time of publication, Action Alerts PLUS, which Cramer co-manages as a charitable trust, was long FB.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV