By Pete Najarian, co-founder of OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Option traders are looking for Norfolk Southern (NSC) to steam ahead in coming months.
The September 77.50 calls were bought for $1.90 Tuesday, along with some July 77.50s that were snapped up for 15 cents. OptionMonster's tracking systems showed that the volume was heavily skewed to the upside, with 9,200 calls traded against fewer than 3,000 puts.
Those calls lock in the price where shares can be purchased, which could provide significant leverage to a rally. Investors use these options to obtain long exposure cheaply and to limit losses in case they get the direction wrong.Norfolk Southern's stock rose 0.7% to $76.16 Tuesday. A recent piece by Buckingham Research was bullish on the railroad operator, and rival CSX beat earnings estimates after the closing bell. Norfolk follows with its own quarterly report on July 23. More than 12,000 contracts traded in the name Tuesday, roughly seven times the average amount. Najarian owns NSC calls.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV