By Pete Najarian, co-founder of OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Option traders are looking for Norfolk Southern (NSC) to steam ahead in coming months.
The September 77.50 calls were bought for $1.90 Tuesday, along with some July 77.50s that were snapped up for 15 cents. OptionMonster's tracking systems showed that the volume was heavily skewed to the upside, with 9,200 calls traded against fewer than 3,000 puts.
Those calls lock in the price where shares can be purchased, which could provide significant leverage to a rally. Investors use these options to obtain long exposure cheaply and to limit losses in case they get the direction wrong.Norfolk Southern's stock rose 0.7% to $76.16 Tuesday. A recent piece by Buckingham Research was bullish on the railroad operator, and rival CSX beat earnings estimates after the closing bell. Norfolk follows with its own quarterly report on July 23. More than 12,000 contracts traded in the name Tuesday, roughly seven times the average amount. Najarian owns NSC calls.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV