- Norfolk Southern reduced its greenhouse gas emissions by 4 percent in 2012, reflecting ongoing efforts to improve network operating efficiencies, reduce locomotive fuel use and emissions, and lower energy usage at railroad office buildings and facilities. By year's end in 2012, Norfolk Southern had accomplished nearly 69 percent of a 2014 goal to reduce carbon emissions by 10 percent per revenue ton-mile of freight transported.
- Norfolk Southern hired more than 2,400 new employees in 2012, and the railroad's Norfolk Southern Foundation donated a record $6.98 million to local communities for human services, environmental conservation, education for children, and arts and culture.
- Norfolk Southern completed 40 percent of its $5.6 million Trees and Trains carbon-mitigation initiative to reforest 10,000 acres in the Mississippi Alluvial Valley. Since its launch two years ago, Norfolk Southern has expanded efforts to help restore longleaf pines and American chestnut trees to their historic Southeastern U.S. ranges.
- Norfolk Southern has equipped more than 70 percent of the railroad's locomotives with idle-reduction technology, and more than half of its long-haul locomotives have computer-based technologies installed to help engineers achieve maximum fuel economy. Diesel-burning locomotives generate around 90 percent of Norfolk Southern's annual greenhouse gas emissions, and the railroad has a range of strategic initiatives in place to improve fuel- and network efficiencies.
Communities, Customers Benefit From Norfolk Southern's Progress On Sustainability
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.