NORFOLK, Va., July 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Communities, customers, and other stakeholders served by Norfolk Southern (NYSE: NSC) have benefited from the steady progress the railroad made in 2012 toward achieving its goals in corporate sustainability. The railroad's gains include reducing emissions of greenhouse gases and advancing its Trees and Trains tree-planting initiative.
Norfolk Southern highlights these and other activities in its 2013 sustainability report, "Connections," released today on the company's environmental website, www.nssustainability.com. The sixth annual report highlights Norfolk Southern's commitment to best practices of corporate environmental, economic, and social responsibility. The exclusively online report is more interactive and user friendly than previous reports, featuring a Report Builder function and greater access on handheld tablet devices.
In addition to environmental progress, the report documents how the company is contributing to the economic and social vitality of communities in the eastern U.S. through support of business development, charitable giving, employee volunteerism, and a well-paid workforce.
"As a leading freight carrier, our railroad must invest in the communities we serve, and we must be a responsible steward of our environment," said CEO Wick Moorman. "Adherence to those two principles has enhanced and affirmed our understanding of the connections between our long-term business success and the health of our communities, our environment, and our employees."A few highlights from the report:
- Norfolk Southern reduced its greenhouse gas emissions by 4 percent in 2012, reflecting ongoing efforts to improve network operating efficiencies, reduce locomotive fuel use and emissions, and lower energy usage at railroad office buildings and facilities. By year's end in 2012, Norfolk Southern had accomplished nearly 69 percent of a 2014 goal to reduce carbon emissions by 10 percent per revenue ton-mile of freight transported.
- Norfolk Southern hired more than 2,400 new employees in 2012, and the railroad's Norfolk Southern Foundation donated a record $6.98 million to local communities for human services, environmental conservation, education for children, and arts and culture.
- Norfolk Southern completed 40 percent of its $5.6 million Trees and Trains carbon-mitigation initiative to reforest 10,000 acres in the Mississippi Alluvial Valley. Since its launch two years ago, Norfolk Southern has expanded efforts to help restore longleaf pines and American chestnut trees to their historic Southeastern U.S. ranges.
- Norfolk Southern has equipped more than 70 percent of the railroad's locomotives with idle-reduction technology, and more than half of its long-haul locomotives have computer-based technologies installed to help engineers achieve maximum fuel economy. Diesel-burning locomotives generate around 90 percent of Norfolk Southern's annual greenhouse gas emissions, and the railroad has a range of strategic initiatives in place to improve fuel- and network efficiencies.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV