- 1. Travel insurance doesn't reimburse fickleness. If you think you might cancel your trip, use the American Airlines 24-hour hold and United Airways 7-day FareLock before booking.
- 2. When purchasing travel insurance for the medical coverage, call the insurer to determine what expenses and exclusions are covered, if any. For example, evacuation or transportation in the event of an emergency.
- 3. Depending on the credit card you used to book travel, you may have travel protection built into the card. For example, American Express allows its users to create and customize their own travel insurance coverage.
- 4. Before purchasing, research insurance service providers because not all insurers readily cover lost or stolen luggage, flight cancellation, terrorism or natural calamities. Read the policy's terms and conditions pertaining to the loss of personal possessions, money and documentation, such as passport and driver's license.
- 5. Compare the medical facilities you get from various policies to determine which one provides the best coverage when traveling abroad.
5 Tips for Purchasing Travel Insurance
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.