BENTONVILLE, Ark. , July 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Walmart unveiled its back-to-school lineup today designed to save its customers more money and stress this shopping season. The retailer is promising to help customers ring up the savings by focusing on five key areas this back-to-school season:
- Gimmick-free pricing all season long, including more than 250 school supplies for less than $1 ,
- Offering the hottest trends in school supplies,
- Launching a new "Teachers Corner" that puts classroom needs in one location,
- Bringing back its online school supply and uniform list database, Classrooms by Walmart , and
- Offering free shipping on uniforms and school supplies purchased on Walmart.com .
"We know that back-to-school shopping costs add up but parents can trust Walmart to keep prices low," said Duncan Mac Naughton, executive vice president, chief merchandising and marketing officer for Walmart U.S. "This back-to-school season we will sell 42 million boxes of crayons. That's a lot of crayons, and we're here to make sure parents and students don't feel the pinch."
According to a National Retail Federation survey , 77 percent of families with school-aged children said the U.S. economy will impact their 2013 back-to-school spending plans. That's why the company is offering several ways for parents and teachers to find every item on their list for less.
Season-Long SavingsMany parents are accustomed to the high-low, bait and switch tactics of retailers during the back-to-school shopping season. However, Walmart promises to keep its prices consistently low all season long. "We aren't playing games with our prices," added Mac Naughton. The prices we advertise now will be the same low prices all season long." Walmart is also participating in sales tax holidays around the country, which kick off the last week in July. On select days in certain states, customers pay zero or reduced sales tax for items such as school supplies, apparel and backpacks. Eligible items and dollar limits vary by state. The Hottest Trends in Supplies Walmart's commitment to low prices covers the entire store including the coolest trends students are looking to sport as they head back to school. From licensed products to neon and items that show school pride, Walmart is sending customers to school in style.
- Neon . More than 25 bright and trendy supplies, such as neon dry erase boards, notebooks and mini crates starting at 97 cents.
- Monsters University, Teen Beach Movie . Top must-haves featuring these summer blockbusters.
- One Direction . Walmart is the one stop shop for everything 1D – from entertainment to supplies, apparel and backpacks.
- Team Gear . Students can show their school spirit and personalize their space with Walmart's largest-ever selection of licensed NCAA decor, apparel and supplies .
- Duck Dynasty . School supplies from the popular TV show, available only at select Walmart stores.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV