Travelers Institute, the public policy division of The Travelers Companies, Inc. (NYSE: TRV), the New England Council, the nation’s oldest regional business organization, and NYSE Euronext, a leading global operator of financial markets and a provider of innovative trading technologies, today co-hosted Small Business – Big Opportunity in Boston. This symposium is part of a multi-year project, Small Business – Big Opportunity, which has included events in major markets across the country, such as Los Angeles, Dallas, Atlanta and New York, all aimed at promoting the importance of small businesses to economic growth, job creation and the American opportunity.
“As one of the nation’s largest insurers of small businesses, we are keenly aware of the challenges facing entrepreneurs, and we are committed to fostering productive discussion to help them identify solutions,” said Joan Woodward, President of Travelers Institute and Executive Vice President of Public Policy for Travelers. “From access to capital to complex regulations, Travelers is convening thought leaders to help small business owners navigate challenges they face.”
Jim Brett, President of the New England Council, delivered opening remarks, and Dr. Mary Burke, a Senior Economist at the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, gave the keynote address discussing the regional economic outlook for small businesses.
“The goal of the New England Council is to promote economic growth and a high quality of life throughout our region,” said Brett. “Travelers Institute’s Small Business – Big Opportunity series aligns well with that objective and we are pleased to join them in reinforcing the importance of small business to not only Massachusetts, but also our region and country.”Woodward moderated the discussion and the full panel consisted of prominent economic and small business innovators and leaders, including:
- April Anderson Lamoureux, President, Anderson Strategic Advisors, LLC and former Assistant Secretary for Economic Development, State of Massachusetts
- Joseph Bator, Senior Vice President, Business Banking, Eastern Bank
- Lynn Bromley, Regional Advocate, Office of Advocacy, U.S. Small Business Administration
- Mike Chapman, Chief Sales Officer, HUB International
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts