NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The market is set for a big earnings week with over 15% of the S&P 500 reporting quarterly results. TheStreet's Stephanie Link discussed some of the big technology names with Collin Gillis, a technology analyst at BGC Partners.
Wednesday after the close, eBay (EBAY) will be in the spotlight with its second quarter-earnings report.
The stock has essentially been flat since its first quarter report back in March, but that's likely due to the lower-than-expected guidance for the current quarter that caught many investors off-guard.
Unfortunately for eBay, a big upside beat is likely out of the cards, according to Gillis. The company usually reports earnings near the upper end of its own range, something that analysts have keyed in on.Because of this, an in-line or slight beat is the most likely scenario, he said. Although the stock does have some catalysts, a strong dollar is not generally regarded as a good thing for it. The company's Marketplace appears to have remained very strong amid many changes and PayPal looks to be performing well, too. Gillis said he likes the favorable market cap of $73 billion to Amazon's (AMZN) $130 billion. On Thursday, Microsoft (MSFT) will report earnings after the close. While the fourth quarter is generally strong for the company, there will be many questions regarding the reorganization. Gillis said investors may be expecting too much if they want to see the company broken up or a removal of CEO Steve Ballmer. However, with five straight quarterly declines of PC sales, the company obviously has to do something different. That will likely mean a shift into mobile and more specifically, into tablets and smartphones. Gillis and Link concluded that both Microsoft and eBay would be worthy of buying on a pullback. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV