Goldman's equity underwriting unit saw revenue drop 5% to $371 million in the second quarter, missing consensus estimates. Quarterly merger advisory fees of $486 million also indicated lackluster growth. Goldman's overall investment banking revenue was stabilized by record debt underwriting revenue of $695 million.
The bank's GSAM investment management unit, meanwhile, posted flat revenue from year-ago levels, at $1.33 billion. Competitors such as Wells Fargo (WFC) and Morgan Stanley (MS) are gaining market share in investment management just as many expect investors to return to equity markets.
Goldman did report a 9% quarterly rise in equity trading revenue to $1.85 billion, and continues to earn the most revenue on Wall Street from the business.
Goldman's earnings beat was mostly attributable to $1.42 billion in revenue posted by its Investing & Lending unit, driven by rising marks to the bank's private equity investments and its portfolio of equity and debt market securities.As regulators work to implement the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act, Goldman will not be able to continue relying on its private equity and securities investments to such a great degree. Consensus among Wall Street analysts was for Goldman to see such earnings come in below $900 million, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. The bank was also able to post a new record in debt underwriting revenue, even amid an end-of-quarter surge in interest rates that drove the worst quarterly bond market performance since 1994. Factors such as asset sales and a falling tax rate also played into earnings. "The beat was primarily driven by investment gains in the Investing & Lending division, a lower than expected tax rate and a slight beat on
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV