NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- After a lackluster first six months of 2013, Baidu (BIDU) catches a strong bid after it announced a $1.9 billion deal for 91 Wireless. T3Live.com's Scott Redler and TheStreet's Debra Borchardt break down where the stock will go next.
91 Wireless is the top app store in China, suggesting that Baidu is trying to make a push into the mobile space.
With shares up about 7% in early trading, it's clear that investors are cheering the move and see new potential.
But what do investors and traders do with the stock now?Although it was one of Wall Street's darlings for several years, the stock has been in a deep downtrend since mid-2012 on speculation that the company had nothing to differentiate itself. Now it appears that it's changing course. According to Redler, if Baidu can hold the gap that was created when the stock jumped from $101 to $106, then it will likely be worthy of an entry on the long side. While he doesn't recommend chasing the name, if it can consolidate near these levels, the next move should be up. As for resistance, he is watching $115 as his first target and $125 should the stock really start chugging to the upside. The key is whether today's levels can hold as support and only time will tell if that's the case. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. . Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV