The transaction, which is expected to close in August, offers Beijing-based Baidu the opportunity to diversify away from its reliance on Internet searches. The company has faced issues monetizing web searches amid increased competition from its chief rival, Qihoo (QIHU).
Baidu was gaining 4.5% to $106.17 to extend its 2013 advance to 5.8% though short of its 12-month high of $133.98 reached in August.
91 Wireless operates China's two largest Internet application markers, 91Assistant and HiMarket. 91 Wireless is China's fourth largest mobile-game distributor. More than 10 billion apps have been downloaded through HiMarket and 91Assistant in the past two-and-a-half years."We believe the acquisition is positive for Baidu's mobile Internet positioning as it fills up Baidu's mobile capability gap," wrote Jefferies analysts in a report led by Cynthia Meng. Citibank analyst Muzhi Li projects that Baidu's revenue may increase 33% as a result of the acquisition, 3% higher than previous estimates. Citi upgraded Baidu to neutral, as did Jefferies. Citibank raised the Baidu's price target from $101.59 to $113.00. Jefferies, being optimistic, had previously held Baidu at $91.00 but rose the target to $115.00 following the announcement. This acquisition would be Baudi's largest to date. In May, the company purchased Internet video provider PPS for $370 million. PPS was merged with Baidu's iQiyi video platform to form China's largest video provider. Baidu's second quarter earnings will be released on July 24th. -- Written by Robert Arenella in New York >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Robert Arenella.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV