This might still be a challenge. Although home prices remain low compared to historical levels, mortgage rates are on the rise, denting affordability. Mortgage underwriting standards also remain too tight.
And while rising home prices are pulling more people out of water, millions remain trapped with a underwater mortgage loans, unable to trade-up.
Still, CoreLogic is confident that traditional homebuyers will take over from cash buyers, as affordability is still very high. Home prices will have to rise 47% or interest rates will have to rise 6.75% for home affordability levels to return to those seen in 2000-2004 period, according to the report.
Core Logic remains "optimistic that rising rates and home prices will not dissuade more traditional buyer from entering the market and financing a purchase" Khater wrote.-- Written by Shanthi Bharatwaj in New York. >Contact by Email. Follow @shavenk
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV