Again, at a lower price, it would be easier for Roche to take the plunge but not at the current Alexion price tag.
Jim might be right, but only if Roche does something foolish and out of character.
If Roche really wants to get into the orphan drug business, buying Vertex would be a better fit, in my opinion. Vertex is going to dominate the cystic fibrosis treatment market for the foreseeable future, which is as big a commercial opportunity, if not larger, than anything Alexion is working on. Plus, with Vertex, Roche could also bolster its sagging hepatitis C business. A Roche acquisition of Vertex might be just as expensive as buying Alexion, but from a strategic standpoint, the former makes more sense to me.
[I've already called for Vertex to buy Sarepta Therapeutics (SRPT), so maybe that deal should happen first, before Roche steps in. Yes, I know, I'm just dreaming.]-- Reported by Adam Feuerstein in Boston. Follow @AdamFeuerstein
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV