NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- If you're not enjoying the summer heat wave, maybe you should be invested in death stocks.
That is more or less the message, anyway, from a recent Bank of America Merrill Lynch report on Service Corp. International (SCI), the largest publicly-traded company in the "death care industry."
In a section entitled "Death rate update: Extreme weather could boost 3Q13," Bank of America analyst Robert Willoughby noted that U.S. deaths are up 6% year to date. Third quarter deaths, meanwhile, are up 2.8%.
"While the likely benefit to SCI is small, we note extreme heat events, such as those occurring throughout the U.S. over the past several weeks, have historically corresponded to an increase in observed heat related deaths," Willoughby wrote.The benefit to Service Corp. may be small, but the words "heat wave updates," were included in the title of the report, so how small can it really be? Certainly not too small to make fun of, anyway. But in case you're dead serious about this topic, as Merrill's analysts appear to be, you might consider a few other death stocks, like Hillenbrand (HI), StoneMor Partners (STON), Carriage Services (CSV)and Matthews International (MATW). And while you're at it, you might want to take a look at Smith & Wesson Holding Corp. (SWHC) and Philip Morris International (PM). Why rely on the heat when guns and cigarettes are so much more effective? -- Written by Dan Freed in New York. Follow this writer on Twitter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV