The New York-based bank said second-quarter profit rose 25% year-over-year, excluding non-core items, driven by strong trading revenues, improving credit quality and shrinking losses at its non-core business.
The earnings beat came even as emerging markets showed signs of slowing down. Citigroup gets more than 60% of its revenues from outside the United States.
Shares of Citigroup rose 2% Monday following the earnings report and are now up more than 30% year-to-date. But analysts remain bullish on the stock and continue to cite its attractive valuation."Though the bar has been raised with the share price surge and elevated headline risk tied to slowing emerging markets, our sense is the positive catalysts will drive the shares higher given the steep discount," Sterne Agee analyst Todd Hagerman wrote in a report early Monday. The analyst said Citigroup's stock could have meaningful upside given expectations for "positive leverage across the franchise in '13, diminishing earnings drag tied to Holdings, ongoing momentum in capital markets, nearly double-digit growth in tangible book value, and positive earning asset growth, including relative margin stability." Citi Holdings is the subsidiary into which Citigroup has placed non-core assets, allowing them to run-off or be sold. Hagerman raised his 12-month price target of Citigroup to $61 from $56.00. He also increased his earnings estimate for 2013 by $5.10 a share from $4.85, and the 2014 EPS estimate to $5.65 from $5.55. KBW analyst Fred Cannon also raised estimates for the bank and bumped up his price target to $58.00. Cannon was impressed by Citi's progress in building capital during a quarter where "equity was weighed down by both a decline in AFS
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV