In a move designed to deliver new customer experiences and to spur innovation among smartphone and tablet app developers, DISH opened its third-party application programming interface (API) to developers. Starting today, trusted partners can access many of the same second-screen APIs that DISH uses for its own DISH Explorer mobile app on its Hopper® Whole-Home HD DVR, a program designed to replace a traditional remote control with a tablet-based device.
“I think it's a great announcement and DISH has taken a step in the right direction,” said media strategist Robert Tercek earlier this month at the Second Screen Summit in New York. “In the world of the multichannel video providers, DISH is probably the most innovative company. This is evidence that DISH is focused on reinventing the TV experience for an audience that's already accustomed to manipulating their content, tuning in when they want to, and building their own playlists. Consumers want to exert more control."
With the DISH APIs, developers can offer new ways for customers to discover shows that are available on the program guide, recorded to the DVR and accessible on demand. Their apps will also be able to control the Hopper by changing channels, setting recordings and playing back DVR and on-demand shows.
“DISH wants to evolve the Hopper experience for customers and foster innovation among the developer community,” said Vivek Khemka, senior vice president of Product Management for DISH. “DISH already has its own suite of mobile apps designed to work with the Hopper, but we want to see what other experiences trusted partners might create if given the opportunity. By tapping into a deeper well of creativity, I’m confident we will discover ideas we’ve never dreamed of to improve upon an already unique customer experience.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV