ATLANTA, July 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- There really is no place like home, unless it is a hotel that offers free Internet connection according to new research from InterContinental Hotels Group ( IHG) which has found that being able to connect online with family and friends is now the top priority for U.S. business travelers.
The research polled 1,000 business travelers nationwide and was commissioned to mark this month's launch of IHG's renamed loyalty program, IHG® Rewards Club. It reveals that not being able to contact home due to lack of Internet connection is now the biggest travel headache for people away on business, cited by 48 percent of travelers in the U.S. as their biggest stress factor, ahead of noisy location (41 percent) and difficult transportation links (38 percent).
IHG set out to better understand hotel guests' priorities while traveling and is now the first and only hotel group to offer free Internet access globally to all its loyalty program members. This new benefit started with Elite members at the beginning of July and will roll out to all members starting in 2014, whether they are staying the night at one of IHG's nine hotel brands, or coming in for a coffee or impromptu meeting.
Other top-line findings in the U.S. underline the importance of Internet access:
- 62 percent of those surveyed said that Internet was the most important additional facility in their hotel room above a TV (20 percent); mini-fridge (5 percent), landline phone (4 percent), bath tub (3 percent) and mini bar (1 percent).
- Logging onto the Internet in their room when they first arrive topped the list of things that help travelers feel most at home, while staying at a hotel (25 percent), above unpacking (20 percent), taking a shower (10 percent) or turning on the TV (6 percent)
- More than half (55 percent) of travelers say that they would prefer to communicate with people back home over the Internet rather than using the phone.
- Almost half of business travelers (47 percent) surveyed cited connecting with family at home as the best way to de-stress at the end of a working day.
- 83 percent said that free Internet would make them happier whilst travelling away for business.
- And, more than two thirds of respondents, (69 percent), would be very unhappy traveling if they had no way of connecting with loved ones back home.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV