- Bariatric surgery can be safe and effective. While all three surgical options had similar complication rates, they differed in the amount of weight loss. As a result, it is important for patients to understand their options in terms of risks and benefits.
- Respiratory issues were the most common complication. Patients should discuss these risks with their doctor and care team. Together, they should have a plan to prevent them and to deal with them if they occur.
- Hospitals with more experience had better results. The hospitals that performed higher numbers of the procedures had significantly lower complication rates.
- Quality matters. Hospitals rated with 5 stars by Healthgrades had 71% lower complication rates than 1-star hospitals and 46% lower rates than 3-star hospitals after adjusting for patient risk factors. Before deciding on when and where to have surgery, patients should use this data to understand hospital relative performance.
Healthgrades Bariatric Surgery Report 2013 Evaluates Hospitals Performing Obesity Surgery In The U.S.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.