Healthgrades Bariatric Surgery Report 2013 Evaluates Hospitals Performing Obesity Surgery In The U.S.
DENVER, July 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Healthgrades, the leading online resource that helps consumers search, compare and connect with physicians and hospitals , today released the Healthgrades Bariatric Surgery Report 2013: Your Choices Influence Your Outcome. The new report assesses the performance of hospitals performing obesity surgery in the U.S. and provides important information to help consumers improve the likelihood of a safe bariatric surgery experience.
Today, more than one- third of adults in the United States are considered obese. 1 A recent study forecasts that within 20 years, the number of severely obese adults will more than double. 2 Most recently, in June of this year, the American Medical Association officially designated obesity as a disease, strengthening the discussion about obesity-related treatment options, including bariatric, or weight-loss, surgery.
The Healthgrades report, which included hospitals performing three different surgeries for obesity, looked at vertical sleeve gastrectomy, laparoscopic adjustable gastric band and laparoscopic gastric bypass. Healthgrades identified four key issues for consumers when thinking about bariatric surgery:
- Bariatric surgery can be safe and effective. While all three surgical options had similar complication rates, they differed in the amount of weight loss. As a result, it is important for patients to understand their options in terms of risks and benefits.
- Respiratory issues were the most common complication. Patients should discuss these risks with their doctor and care team. Together, they should have a plan to prevent them and to deal with them if they occur.
- Hospitals with more experience had better results. The hospitals that performed higher numbers of the procedures had significantly lower complication rates.
- Quality matters. Hospitals rated with 5 stars by Healthgrades had 71% lower complication rates than 1-star hospitals and 46% lower rates than 3-star hospitals after adjusting for patient risk factors. Before deciding on when and where to have surgery, patients should use this data to understand hospital relative performance.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV