DALLAS, July 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced a high-power, multi-topology DC/DC LED driver with adjustable switching frequency and current sense threshold that provides design flexibility and low electro-magnetic interference (EMI) for automotive headlamps, fog lights and general-purpose area lighting. The TPS92690 is an N-channel MOSFET controller with low-side current sense designed to support step-up (boost) or step-up/step-down (SEPIC, Cuk, flyback) LED driver topologies. For more information and samples, visit www.ti.com/tps92690-pr.
The TPS92690 DC/DC LED controller includes a number of features that give designers significant flexibility to optimize their systems. For example, adjustable switching frequency (up to 2 MHz) and current sense threshold allow designers to optimize LED drive electronics for small size, high efficiency, or a balance of both. Separate pulse-width modulation (PWM) and analog inputs interface with common dimming control methods to adjust LED current or implement thermal foldback. An internal oscillator sets the switching frequency of the converter, but can be overdriven by an external clock for synchronizing switching frequencies with other converters in a design. Low-side current sensing enables design of low-EMI topologies, such as the Cuk converter, while still maintaining a single wire connection to the LED load.
- Offered in AEC-Q100-qualified automotive or commercial grades.
- 4.5-V to 75.0-V input voltage range is suitable for boost, SEPIC, Cuk and flyback topologies in a wide variety of LED applications.
- Low-side adjustable current sense (50 mV to 500 mV) minimizes power loss and provides analog dimming control.
- Under-voltage lockout (UVLO), LED over-voltage, cycle-by-cycle current limit and thermal shutdown protect against faults and abnormal operating conditions.
- Order the TPS92690 boost evaluation board, or download the 26-W Cuk reference design.
- Get more information on all of TI's lighting products: www.ti.com/lighting-pr.
- Design a complete LED power management system with TI's WEBENCH ® LED Architect: www.ti.com/ledwebench-pr.
- Ask questions and share knowledge in the LED forum in the TI E2E™ Community: www.ti.com/ledforum-pr.
- Download LED reference designs from TI's PowerLab™ Reference Design Library: www.ti.com/powerlab-pr.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts