Provision for Taxes
The effective income tax rate for the first half of 2013 was 30.4%, down from 33.0% for the first quarter of 2013, primarily due to a determination that certain non-U.S. earnings will be permanently reinvested abroad, as well as changes in the earnings mix.
As of June 30, 2013, total capital was $240.08 billion, consisting of $78.04 billion in total shareholders’ equity (common shareholders’ equity of $70.84 billion and preferred stock of $7.20 billion) and $162.04 billion in unsecured long-term borrowings. Book value per common share was $151.21 and tangible book value per common share (3) was $141.62, both approximately 2% higher compared with the end of the first quarter of 2013. Book value and tangible book value per common share are based on common shares outstanding, including restricted stock units granted to employees with no future service requirements, of 468.5 million as of June 30, 2013.On April 25, 2013, The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. (Group Inc.) issued 40,000 shares of perpetual 5.50% Fixed-to-Floating Rate Non-Cumulative Preferred Stock, Series J (Series J Preferred Stock), for aggregate proceeds of $1.00 billion. During the quarter, the firm repurchased 10.5 million shares of its common stock at an average cost per share of $152.80, for a total cost of $1.60 billion. The remaining share authorization under the firm’s existing repurchase program is 75.9 million shares. (13) Under the regulatory capital requirements currently applicable to bank holding companies, the firm’s Tier 1 capital ratio (6) was 15.6% (5) and the firm’s Tier 1 common ratio (7) was 13.5% (5) as of June 30, 2013, up from 14.4% and 12.7%, respectively, as of March 31, 2013 (in each case under Basel 1 and reflecting the revised market risk regulatory capital requirements which became effective on January 1, 2013). Other Balance Sheet and Liquidity Metrics
- The firm’s global core excess liquidity (GCE) (4) was $183 billion (5) as of June 30, 2013 and averaged $180 billion (5) for the second quarter of 2013, compared with an average of $181 billion for the first quarter of 2013.
- Total assets were $938 billion (5) as of June 30, 2013, compared with $959 billion as of March 31, 2013.
- Level 3 assets were $43 billion (5) as of June 30, 2013, compared with $46 billion as of March 31, 2013, and represented 4.6% of total assets.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts