I'm sure HBO Go, WatchESPN and Time Warner Cable's content won't be the last either. Apple has enough cash to not only rope in more exclusive and lucrative deals than this, but could buy many of these companies outright if it wanted. With these deals some new form of Apple TV is looking more and more likely, in my opinion.
Combined with iTunes, Apple already has its own form of "On Demand," a feature touted by many of the large cable providers. With exclusive licensing deals, Apple might become the new go-to in the living room.
Devices such as the iPad and iPhone will also likely see new features. For instance, if you record a show using iTV, then perhaps you could watch it from anywhere with an Apple devices via the cloud. The possibilities are truly endless.
With an expected introduction of the iTV and an already announced iRadio, Apple will become a bigger part of consumers' everyday lives and the company -- as well as the stock price -- will begin to swell as a result.Whether or not Apple willingly steps into the tech titans boxing match with Google, two things are certain: iWork is just the beginning and the consumer is the ultimate winner as these two duke it out to be number one.
At the time of publication the author was long AAPL. Follow @BretKenwell This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV