Your Cost for Waiting to Buy a Home: $46,000 in Mortgage Interest
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The dodo bird.
The chances of the Chicago Cubs winning the World Series.
Mortgage rates below 4%.
All of the above are either extinct already or heading in that direction. (But we'd love to see the Cubs prove us wrong.)For homebuyers, it's the last item that sticks in their craw. By waiting until this summer to buy a home, fence-sitters may have added tens of thousands of dollars to their home price. That's because mortgage rates are moving upward, and at a fairly aggressive pace. BankingMyWay Weekly Mortgage Rate Tracker, 30-year fixed rate mortgages shot up again last week to 4.63% from 4.46%. In May and June, mortgages rates shot to 4.6% from around 3.5% in the past 60 days, to the highest levels since 2011, costing new homebuyers a fortune in the process. How much are they potentially losing? Let's let the BankingMyWay Mortgage Calculator do the math:
Before May 1Mortgage amount: $200,000
Term: 30-years, fixed rate mortgage
Interest rate: 3.50%
Monthly payment: $898.09
Total payments: $323,311.97
Total interest: $123,311.97
Since July 10Mortgage amount: $200,000
Term: 30 years, fixed-rate mortgage
Interest rate: 4.6%
Monthly payment: $1,025.29
Total payments: $369,103.49
Total interest: $169,103.49 That's an extra $127 per month in mortgage payments, and approximately another $46,000 in mortgage interest payments over the course of 30 years -- all by waiting 70 days to buy a new home. appreciate by 10% this year. But if rates rise and homebuyers are glued to that fence, that leaves fewer buyers on the market and could well force sellers to once again lower prices. Since few owners want to take that approach, fewer homes may be on the market, leading to reduced inventories and subsequent headaches for buyers, sellers and real estate professionals alike.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV