NEWPORT NEWS, Va., July 15, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Shipbuilders representing Huntington Ingalls Industries' (NYSE:HII) Newport News Shipbuilding (NNS) division participated in a series of events over the weekend commemorating what would have been President Gerald R. Ford's 100 th birthday.
A photo accompanying this release is available at http://media.globenewswire.com/hii/mediagallery.html?pkgid=19876
NNS is building CVN 78, a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier for the U.S. Navy named in honor of the 40 th President. The centennial events were held at the Gerald R. Ford Museum in Ford's hometown of Grand Rapids, Mich."We are proud to be building CVN 78—named for a man who embodied integrity, honor and courage," NNS President Matt Mulherin said during a wreath-laying ceremony on Sunday. "We are building his ship with the same pride, quality and dedication that we have built ships with for more than a century. We take great pride in this responsibility and feel a tremendous sense of ownership in the role we play to build upon President Ford's legacy." Shipbuilders participated in the ceremony, during which four wreaths were laid—one on behalf of President Barack Obama, one on behalf of the Ford family, one from NNS shipbuilders and one from the CVN 78 crew. Following the ceremony, a CVN 78 model was unveiled inside the atrium of the Ford Museum. Mulherin also presented an illustration of President Ford that is framed in steel taken from his namesake ship. The illustration will be displayed alongside the model in the museum.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV