First Manhattan Co. (“FMC”), an owner-managed and operated investment advisory firm and the owner of approximately 9.9 percent of the outstanding shares of VIVUS, Inc. (“Vivus”) (NASDAQ: VVUS), today issued the following statement in response to Vivus adjourning their Annual Meeting of Stockholders:
“First Manhattan vigorously objects to the actions taken by the Vivus Board to adjourn the annual meeting today without allowing stockholders the right to vote for the annual election of directors. We believe the adjournment is an outrageous attack on Vivus stockholders’ right to vote and be heard on the important issues facing the company.
“First Manhattan believes Vivus’ stated reasons for adjourning the meeting are a pretext, lacking substance and a desperate act to delay an important vote on the future of the company. In addition, we believe that the Vivus Board lacked authority to adjourn the annual meeting without a stockholder vote to do so. We voted our shares against adjournment and reserve our right to challenge the adjournment and take any other action to protect the stockholders’ right to be heard without delay.
“We believe Vivus stockholders are fully informed about the issues in this proxy contest and should be allowed to vote today on the future of their investments. Vivus’ sitting Board has wasted enough time and stockholder money in a blatant attempt to further entrench themselves.“We encourage Vivus’ stockholders to vote their shares on the WHITE proxy card. If stockholders have already voted Vivus’ gold proxy card, they can still vote the WHITE card. Every vote counts and every stockholder’s vote is important no matter how many shares they own. Even if stockholders do not vote for all of our nominees, they should vote our WHITE proxy. Telephone, internet and ProxyEdge voting may not be available to all stockholders. Please call MacKenzie Partners at the number below for assistance.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV