The phone will come in a variety of colors, it can be customized with a user's own photo as its "wallpaper" screen and it can carry an etched identity on the back. The phone will be assembled in the U.S. The phone will also be priced aggressively, with the highest estimate being $599 without a contract, $199 with one. It is also expected to be delivered through all four major carriers simultaneously.
Market research firm IDC estimated the global smartphone market at 216.3 million units in just the first quarter of this year with Samsung, an Android label, having 37% of it, more than twice Apple's share.
Getting Motorola significant share in that market will have to take sales away from both Samsung and Apple -- lots of sales. The "Samsung-compatible" Moto X will come with new features, a low price and a huge marketing budget.
Google is about to give the smartphone market a major shake-up, resulting in a major shakeout.At the time of publication, the author was long AAPL and GOOG. Follow @danafblankenhor This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV